Thursday, 16 July 2015

What's your favourite Romance Heroine - Kick Ass or a Stereotype?

Is the Stereotype long gone?  Or do you still prefer an old fashioned Romance?



Times they are a changin’ whether we like it or not and so have my tastes in my Romance genres.  For many years (during my 20’s and 30’s) I loved nothing more than a poor, helpless virgin who needed to be rescued get that rescuing from a larger than life hero.  He rescued her whether she wanted him to or not and then she found it was that forever love we all dream about.
Ha! That seems such a lifetime ago, now I want my heriones to kick just as much ass as the hero.  Oh, I still like the Hero to be big, strong and know what he wants in the world, but I also like my Heroine to be just as tough and able to take on the world too.  She may not be able to take on the baddies like Rambo, but she is not afraid to be taking on her life by herself.  She’s not looking for someone to save her, but it’s sure nice when they can save each other.



Even with my Highland Historicals, which are my absolute favourites (a man in a kilt, especially a Highland Warrior gets my heart a beaten and my ovaries jingling) I enjoy a little more out of the mould.  I don’t need my herione stereotypical of the time period.
Although there are quite a few readers who will pick a story to bits if the era is wrong for the style of dress the heroine wears or some other minor detail.  I’m not that precious — I’m all about reading a love story, a romance that grabs my heart strings and keeps me turning the pages to see how they first kiss etc et.

How about you?


What are you thoughts on the role of the Heroine in Modern Contemporary Romances or the Historical Romance?

Do you like a stereotype, or someone who has broken the mould?

I’d love to hear about other struggles and triumphs in the comments.


If you enjoyed this post how about considering sharing on Facebook or Twitter.
I’d love also enjoy meeting you on Twitter here.


Happy writing to all the writers out there and Happy reading to all the romance readers out there